Monday, April 12, 2010

Smuckers Goober - delicious sandwich spread, or communicable disease?

And good morning from Caroline, from the unbelievably beautiful home of Charles and Wilma and Chap.
You know you're in the USA when.... you have dawgs and beer at a ball-game.
Sarah related our ballgame adventure complete with pictures. I just want to add that it was truly overwhelming - the size, the colour, the noise, "Kiss Cam", Margarita Man, "GET your Cotton CANDY" man, the section where spectators watched from an actual swimming pool, the whole spectacle, the nearby child who shrieked "Llllllllllllet's go, Diamondbacks, let's go" in our ears all night.
The singing by a huge school choir of the National Anthem covered us all in goosebumps. My only regret from the night was missing out on an enormous pretzel, and not being allowed to take home a deaf and blind "Aussie" (Australian Shepherd) puppy (Sally has a cruel streak.... that's all I'm saying).
Also please note, while the rest of us had hotdogs, Peter had a 'brat'. Symbolic? I think so.
It's true our vocational experience has not officially begun, yet we have already learnt a fair bit - including how much Phoenix is affected by the current economic crisis. So, how important it is to be able to boast such events as the ball-game and also Nascar which is this weekend. Events bring visitors who spend money; events build community.
This morning I enjoyed going to church with Wilma and Charles and I even knew nearly all the hymns!
Then I accompanied them to Safeway for groceries. Charles was worried I might get overcome by the choices and colours in the cereal aisle but I was remarkably restrained.
And I did not buy the jar of Smuckers Goober, but I was tempted.
On a serious note, while we are having this Amazing Arizona Adventure, our thoughts are also with the people of Poland following the terrible news about the distaster that took the lives of their President, his wife and so many other people.

1 comment:

  1. You'll went to a ball game and didn't have a pretzel ... Shame!
    Glad all's going well. And what in the bname of Heaven is Smuckers Goober?
    Cheers' to all
    Ian

    ReplyDelete