Tuesday, April 13, 2010

First Day on the job.( The whole 40 inches-sorry an in joke!)


Hello followers of the team having the best time and still talking to each other.
Today we had our first full vocational day in our Rotary shirts of blue in the 'people mover driven by Jim.
We first visited (after the car park gathering/drop off) the Arizona Highways Magazine and its great hosts Win and Jeff. They were so welcoming and gave us a fantastic presentation to take in. The magazine is an institution in many homes and certainly gives readers an advertising free glimpse at what I have decided is the most beautiful state of the great U. S. of A. Call me bias but google and enjoy this great publication, classily giving the secrets of Arizona to us all.
I warn all other participants of this exchange. The bar is now pretty high for vocational visits.
After a yummy lunch.(My stomach has still not decided what continent it is processing on) at The Flying Skillet! -at an airport of course! We headed out to a beautiful new spring training complex where the up and coming and the already there base ball players from the L. A Dodgers and the Chicago White Sox ( I think) practice.
Hay Lara and Lyndsey that is NOT how you spell socks... Sorry I just had to do that.
Charming John, who loved his job and the grass. Showed us around and was a little taken back when I asked him if he had a partner or children.
How was I to know in the States a partner is of the same sex?. Anyway I explained I was happily married (not trying to pick him up) and just wanted to provide him with a couple of gifts if he had 'significant others'.... This amused the team (and confused John and Jim I think).
We took some great photos and Caroline demonstrated her concern regarding flying balls and bats [pictured].
I must admit after a small shopping detour we headed back to the meeting point car park and headed home. I was a little fatigued and glad to relax.
I have found my American cousin I never knew I had! Barb the fruit-a-holic (she openly admits this) is a wonderful host. She has no fear. We had pancakes out of a spray can tonight that she bought because my reaction to this product on our shopping excursion was so hilarious. She just had to get it! Just for the record they were really OK!
We have soaked up a quiet evening and to use a phrase from this mornings presentation. It was sorbet for my soul! to watch Johnny Depp, complete with extras from Barbara who knows everything about our Johnny without stalking him and checking his garbage!
I cant wait for tomorrow! I am still pinching myself that I am here!

2 comments:

  1. We are happy y'all are having a good time...we are too! We do mostly speak the same language as well. That must be a positive.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Was the pic of Caroline before 10am

    ReplyDelete