Friday, April 16, 2010

Oh yes I will take that synthetic life size elk home!

Cabela's
With our lovely guide Pat who had worked out all the stats in metric just for us and she walked liked us. But I would have enjoyed her navigating the store back wards....She was going to hunt a turkey this weekend. I wish her well!
Oh my, perhaps I did see the most gobb-smaking place yesterday and I have tried all night to get my head around it.
Picture this, a white beach, rolling surf. No not really- I mean. A huge outdoor sports store complete with mountain, plane, stuffed animals worth millions, gun museum and fish pillows!.
A place where you can see trout in an aquarium and then purchase products to catch their relatives.
There would be enough camouflage clothing to look after many African villages (and never see them again!).
One of my favourite spots was the stack of Winchester ammunition just in an aisle as tall as me almost (well it was pretty big). You could buy a hand gun off the rack too!
After perusing the clothing, camping gear, guns and canoes I ventured up stairs to the 'House and Cabin' section and restaurant. I could have bought a night light with tent and fire or an elk jerky sausage.
At one point I looked over at this huge store and just shook my head in wonder. How does Jamie not know about this place? Thousands of others do! People all over the States travel on average 2 1/2 hours to get to a store and then 4 hours wondering around the store.
Once I spotted the life size plastic elk and the turkey to match I thought anything was possible and began to see the attraction. Well there was also FUDGE!. They make over 200 kilos a week in store and give away samples to die for.
I just had to ask the girls to share this with everyone and I hope you will all check out their website as they have bargains unheard of in Australia. Yes Jamie that is permission on some level....
A week has gone by and although I still have not slept through, I feel less surprised each morning as I prepare for another day with Vanilla and Cinnamon Coffee mate and my dear host Barbara. Our support here in Phoenix has been great. We have met so many lovely people and felt welcome and special where ever we have stepped.
Tomorrow is another adventure and we say Goodbye to our first week. After Cabela's I KNOW anything can happen.
Just for the record I am sending the elk by post (I thought it would be nice at Christmas in the front yard). It was only $250 and after all it is only money........NOT

2 comments:

  1. After reading your post I just had to google Cabelas. I found a generic store video and a photo gallery of the Glendale store. WOW,just amazing. Joh (Sally's mum)

    ReplyDelete
  2. If only Yass had a store like that there would be no rabbits or foxes

    ReplyDelete