Monday, May 17, 2010

Tearful Goodbyes

Caroline again, sorry - this time from 'back home' in Phoenix, where it is Rather Hot compared to the Canyon! I can't believe it has been five weeks since I was last at the lovely home of Charles and Wilma, but it is like home and it's wonderful being here.

Our afternoon on the rim of the Canyon was wonderful. We had shade and water, and even ambience when Don Schiller serenaded us all on flute (a man of many talents), but it was hot and we did end up getting a bit more imaginative than usual:
The cheeky neighbourhood squirrel was given the name Garreth and climbed onto my lap (rabies be damned, he was cute and left darling tiny dusty footprints on my trousers);
Sally and I played "Mr Squiggle" (they didn't have him, over here, by the way) - I feel Sally's depiction of "a very angry man who is scared of air" is deserving of a place on the fridge, Al and Jo.

At last night's Conference dinner the company was treated to a performance by members of the Arizona Broadway Theatre. They were amazing and, to all US Rotarians, if you haven't yet seen "Rotary, the Musical", you must - it is very clever and very funny!

This morning's farewells were emotional as we said goodbye (but only goodbye FOR NOW) to some of our wonderful, kind, generous and fun new friends. I want to name some of you but it wouldn't be fair - there are too many. But we include among our new loved ones Uppi, Raj, Nami, Sushma and Umesh from the Indian team; and I must make mention of Mike King who wrote us a truly excellent poem - thank you!!!!!!!!!!

Can I just take the opportunity to thank our Blog Followers? We understand not all our (myriad) fans have not necessarily been able to join as Followers and we understand not everybody has been in a position to make comments. But, those who have, you have no idea how much we've appreciated knowing you're there, and that you're reading.

Enough, Caroline! I need to go and figure out how to get 300 lb to weigh 50 lb in preparation for tomorrow's flight. [I mean my luggage, not me.]

8 comments:

  1. It sure does feel like a lifetime ago that I was back here with Sue, Tom and Nico, but it really was only a few weeks ago.

    It sure is nice to be somewhere familiar, where even the dogs and cats recognise that they know me.

    I'm trying not to think too much about the end of our journey, because it makes me sad just thinking about it. Although, I am looking forward to getting home to my loved ones and continuing the wonderful friendships I have formed with these three amazing women who will no doubt be life long friends because of the AMAZING experiences we have shared together.

    Thanks to everyone that helped provide us with these memories - I will never forget you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Caroline, I like reading between the lines.
    "More imaginative than usual" = "Delirious from the sun"
    I also enjoyed the blank looks when trying to explain Mr Squiggle. (Dont look behind me at the Grand Canyon, look what I have drawn!)

    Im going to miss all of this!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Caroline said it all!
    I have thought a lot tonight of the last few weeks. My memories are precious but the people we met will always be in my heart. I will miss being one of 'the angels'. I will never forget my time sharing, laughing, learning and feeling very special. Thank you all. you know who you are!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! Great posts. I think I'm getting a little misty-eyed. Al.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you Rotary team, for taking me on your trip with you! I've really enjoyed reading your posts. I know you are all saying goodbye to your blog yet you still have a couple of days in Vegas. I guess what happens in Vegas stays in Vegas! I hope you all have a blast, and I look forward to catching up with Caz when she gets back to hear all about it!
    Pamela

    ReplyDelete
  6. As I write this I know that you are about to leave the US, but not us! Mary and I feel we have an extended family in Australia; one we hope to visit again...perhaps in '14. It was fun, wasn't it? GSE is a great program for great people like you. One day I will visit each of you in your Rotary Clubs.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you Friends,
    You were a great team and we enjoyed every moment of our meeting with you all and your leader Peter. We wish you all the best and safe back journey. God willing we will meet again somewhere someday. But till then sweet memories will be treasured in our hearts.
    Uppi and GSE team members from India

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ok....Now I want to know about Mr. Squiggles????....You've left me HANGING with questions!
    ;-)

    ReplyDelete